Thursday, September 29, 2005

GEEKDOM


This is the quivering mass of silliness that parenthood has reduced me to. I saw this story about iPod onesies and instead of thinking, "jesus, how dorky is this shit?" I'm thinking instead, "this is cute, maybe we should get one for L." For real, I need some help.

Seriously though, a friend recently wanted an update on my thoughts on fatherhood. Here's what I had to say:
    It's hard to know where to begin...being a parent is such a profound experience that even the word "profound" feels inadequate to capture it. It's both amazing and beautiful and terrible and scary, all wrapped into one. This said, I barely remember my life before L and it's dawning on me that I'll never have a life without here in it. I've never really had a relationship like that, especially given my own distance to my parents. It's a lot to wrap one's head around and usually I'm so caught up in trying to attend to her needs that I don't have time to stop and contemplate. Occasionally though, I'll be watching her and she'll glance up to look at me and smile and I'm overcome with such an incredible wave of love/fear/wonderment that I don't know what to do with it, except for maybe reach over and tussle her hair and plant a kiss on her forehead.

Posted by P.L. at 10:12 AM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Chris Lautischer posted at 7:45 PM, November 02, 2005  
    hahahahahh it is a sweet picture though
    -orders an ipod onesie- :D
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:37 PM, November 16, 2005  
    Finally, new dads can dress their newborns in iPod onesies while researching bottle feeding on The GoodFather Cd-Rom. Life is good for new dads!

    LJ

Post a Comment

« Home